Share A Spoon: Pizza Pasta

This week's Share A Spoon theme is casseroles and you know I love a good challenge so I found a great comforting casserole recipe and kept it tasty and healthy!



Is it pizza or is it pasta? It's BOTH!! I know what you are thinking...Girrrrl this is NOT healthy! *neckroll*double snap

Don't worry, my bitches! I've trimmed the fat from this dish so we can have our pizza and our pasta too!

By replacing traditional pepperoni with the turkey variety this cuts the fat down from 13 grams per serving to 4 grams per serving! It also cuts the calories in half! I can vouch that turkey pepperoni tastes just as good (even better in my opinion) as regular pepperoni! Using whole grain pasta adds lots of fiber to your meal. I use the Barilla whole grain spaghetti noodles and there are 6 grams of fiber per serving!

Portion control is key. Use your fist as a guide (get your mind out of the gutter!) Your portion should be around the same size as your fist.

Serve this with a salad or some steamed zucchini and yellow squash.

Ingredients:

1 pkg whole grain spaghetti (approx 14 oz)
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I like to use the cheap Hunts cans-Four Cheese)
1 can of Italian Diced Tomatoes
1 8 oz package of Italian Shredded cheese
1/2 package of Turkey Pepperoni
1 small can sliced olives (or veggies of your choice)
Italian Seasoning (to taste)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
1 tsp Fennel Seed (optional)

Directions:

Prepare a casserole dish with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare pasta as directed on package

In a saucepan combine spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, italian seasoning, garlic powder, and fennel (if you like this spice, it is also used in Italian sausage it adds a distinct flavor so make sure you like it!) simmer over low heat stirring every few minutes.

Drain pasta and add to casserole dish.
Add sauce to casserole dish (no need to stir)
Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over the top
Add pepperoni and veggie toppings of your choice (black olives are pictured above)
sprinkle with Italian seasoning

Bake in oven approx 30 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly.

Do you have a great casserole recipe to share? Well then join in on the fun over at Think Tank Mama's place!!

7 comments:

FourJedis said...

Yum Yum Yum... my tum is rumbling.

Andrea said...

Oooh, yum. Anything with that much cheese makes me happy. :) Is that a bad thing?

adrienzgirl said...

I love pepperoni and cheese. Yes, I am all about Italian things! I think my boys will have a new favorite in this!!!

Tamara Dawn said...

Oh I forgot to mention my boys LOVE this! They are picky as hell but every one of them including my husband requested it again and soon!

KristinFilut said...

This one sounds delish, too!

Tracie said...

Ok, I think this is my favorite casserole recipe this week.

Lothiriel said...

Oh crap!!! This is the best so far, in my opinion!!! mmmmmmmmm....!!!